Thursday 6 January 2011

TWENTY CENTS?!

It has only been a week but Christine and I have located the local grociery stores and bakeries as required for provisions. Although the stores are quite small, the price of staples is very low. Milk, sugar, and other basics like eggs are rediculously inexpensive (I think I paid 0,29 euros for a kilo of sugar the other day - about 40 Canadian cents).

The most welcome surprise is that beer is also a food-staple. This half-litre can of Pilsener was only 0,39 euros (50 cents) - and that INCLUDES a 0,25 euro deposit for the can (At least I assume that's what "Gerwentzelstreiffenshaftsunderloshlüng" means. Could be mistaken.). So the beer itself cost me 0,14 euros (maybe 19 Canadian cents). That is just an unbelievable enticement to spend all day in the park guzzling suds and throwing empties at the pigeons (no - wait: two empties gets you a free beer).

And yet, strangely, nobody does that.

No comments: