Thursday 3 February 2011

Swinging from vine to vine

On Tuesday, November 2 2010 I met with my boss at NRC's Central Business Support department. There was the usual awkwardness as the progress I reported on was undermined by shifting goals or missing data. Requests to find information somewhere 'on the computer' to support her latest tactic for departmental aggrandissement. And an offer of a permanent government job (only 17 more years until retirement!), with a signing deadline of Thursday.
On Wednesday, November 3rd 2010 I had an interview with iFQ via Skype. It went well and they asked how soon I could start.

On Thursday, November 4th, 2010 I received a job offer from iFQ. I met with the H-R ladies at NRC to discuss the technicalities of what severance benefits remained from the downsizing of CISTI (the burning ship from which I jumped a year previously).

On Friday, November 5th, 2010 I met with my boss and quit. And I accepted the offer from iFQ to work in Germany for at least a year. I had found a way out of the meaninglessness of bureaucracy.

This whole episode was stongly influenced by Christine. I remember that a couple of years ago she pointed out how retirement should not the goal of one's career. That she would rather work longer at an interesting job than to whittle away the years at an uninteresting one. That stuck with me. In regards to the whole burning-ship period, Christine encouraged me to quit the NRC and find a more fulfilling job. And most importantly, on the evening of Thursday, November 4th, she agreed to pack everything up and move to Germany for a year. This time abroad is all made possible by her adventurousness and support. That's only one of the reasons I love her.

1 comment:

Kine said...

the other reason is that I look cute on a bicycle.