Wednesday 20 April 2011

Gleefully Gloating

Remember a couple of months ago I detailed why I left the NRC? Well the shake-up is now the subject of a news item in Nature (one of the most important scientific publications).

Canadian research shift makes waves
Agency's focus on industry-driven projects raises concerns that basic science will suffer.
http://www.nature.com/news/2011/110419/full/472269a.html

There will still be jobs there and they will still do some science. But their focus will definitely shift to making quick money by seeking contracts with industry. In the software industry this is called being a "solutions provider"; we'll make whatever you pay us for.

Today I bicycled along the Rhine as pink petals fluttered from the cherry blossom trees. The birds sang and the air was fragrant with flowers. I figured out how to use a probabilistic interpretation of the Jaccard Coefficient to disambiguate synonymous authors. And I did not have to make a pie-chart for some frantic suit who was desperately trying to justify the existence of their institute in light of the coming rationalization of programs that the NRC's new focus demands.

I gloat over my good fortune to have left that sinking ship when I did.

No comments: