Saturday 30 April 2011

Online literary magazines

We are innundated with news all the time, so it's nice to read magazines that take a broader view of things. I have found a few online magazines that publish interesting articles. I think I stumbled across these because they publish some of Theodore Dalrymple's work. Theodore Dalrymple (a pseudonym) is a retired doctor whose years of work in the U.K. prison system led him to question some of the sacred cows of modern liberal thought. One is The City Journal, which tends to cover politics.

 

Last week I discovered The Social Affairs Unit, and have been reading a series of articles by Emily Kingham (another pseudomym) about teaching English in a U.K. prison. I think what I like about these magazines is that they have an unconventional take on things without being radical. In general they seek to expose the curious trends and contradictions in society.

No comments: